Today I’ll share about my trip to Manado City, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. It’s a six days trip with four productive days to explore. It’s mainly about diving in clear warm water (up to 30 m visibility and 29 C water temperature), strange small creatures, big fishes, high walls coral and reef diving on this tropical island, because my older sister is an advanced diver, as I’m just a newbie.
The direct flight from Jakarta (CGK) Soekarno – Hatta International Airport – Manado (MDC) Sam Ratulangi International Airport would take about 3 hours and 18 minutes. Manado time is 1 hour ahead of Jakarta.The plane was scheduled to board at 09:40 a.m. (GMT+7) and will be arrived at Sam Ratulangi International Airport at 14:00 p.m. (GMT+8).
Upon the arrival, the manager from La Rascasse Dive Resort (Where we are going to spend our six days and five nights) has been stand by on the entry gate to pick up us. It’s quite hot and humid here so you might want to wear a proper outfit. You could read my previous post
Summer Essentials if you haven’t read it.
The first diving place would be Manado Bay. Manado Bay has several sites like Tasik Ria House Reef, Critter Circus, Pygmy point, Marina, Barracuda, Molas Ship Wreck, Batu Hitam, Mora’s, etc.
Manado Bay dive site mainly dominates with creatures like black harlequin ghost fish, juvenile angelfishes, leaf fishes, puffer fish, stonefish, pipefishes, Mandarin dragonets (afternoon drive only), Pygmy seahorses, sponge crabs, squids, and nudibranchs. If you are lucky, you might find dugong and barracuda.
It’s a beautiful and exciting dive sites, because they had a variety creatures that you could spot, and It’s a good place for beginner diver like me because they have a shallow surface to begin with, and the water is quite steady.
Before I closed today’s post, Here’s some Tips & Tricks for you who planning to Dive or maybe Snorkeling on Manado Bay:
- If you didn’t have a chance to stay in La Rascasse (since they only have nine bungalows only), but still want to use their dive service, I suggest to choose Villa Dahlia Resort as an alternative place to stay. It is a brand new resort with eco-friendly interiors, lovely garden and beach view, located not far from La Rascasse.
- Be careful because some site like Tasik Ria and Critter Circus got some sea urchin and a banded sea krait which was hunting in the sand, you have already seen one in the picture above.
- Most of the sites here are suitable for night dives, and underwater macro photography. That’s why you’ll need strobes and macro + wide lens with you, or else everything would be dark blue.
- Here’s a Dive map to help you decide and look for information if you plan to do dive in North Sulawesi.
- Follow the diving rules (don’t just touch every animal and corrals, some of them are sensitive, the others are poisonous). Remember to follow your dive master instruction, and always stick with your diving buddy. Here’s a Dive map to help you decide and look for information if you plan to do dive in North Sulawesi.
- More information regarding Accommodation, Tourist area, Diving resorts and things can be accessed from “Visiting Manado for Traveler”. I found that web helpful, especially if you are a “lone wolf” traveller.