It’s my 3rd day in Korea, and today I will talk about “Nami Island “ because today schedule will visit Nami Island and Spend a night in Gangwon do.
A trip to Nami will take about ± 1.5-hour land trip (by Bus) from Seoul. It is -14 °C today so it would be great if you prepare yourself with the
“Winter Essentials” or prepare to be paralysed by snow in this solid frozen day.
Nami Island or also known as Namiseom is a tiny half-moon shaped island located in Chuncheon, South Korea, formed by the rising water of the North Han River as the result of the construction of Cheongpyeong Dam in 1944.
Its name originated from General Nami, who died at the age of 28 after being falsely accused of treason during the reign of King Sejong. Although his grave wasn’t discovered, there was a pile of stones where his body was supposed to be buried. It was believed that if someone took even one stone from there, it would bring misfortune to their house.
The interesting fact about this island is: although It’s located in South Korea area, In 2006, Nami Island declared its cultural independence and was reborn as the Naminara Republic. It has its national flag, anthem, currency, passport and phone cards, stamps, orthography and even a certification of citizenship.
Even though it has Its passport, stamps, certification of citizenship, etc. Your passport is not required to get to the island (you’ll need it if you apply for a 1-year visit to Jeju Namiseom and Chuncheon Namiseom that cost about 3.500 Won). What you need to do for a general visit is pay the admission fee.
Naminara is unique in other ways and has some place of interest / main attraction, like “Metasequoia path” where a Korean television drama series Winter Sonata take place. Another main attraction will be Nami Theater (Located near the Metasequoia path), where cultural events usually take place every weekend.
In the end road of Metasequoia path, you could see a frozen river, with a black mountain as it’s background. In winter, you could see some people walk on the top of the river because its water becomes frozen hard.
If you’re tired, hungry or maybe paralysed by winter snow, you could visit a small cafe near the Metasequoia path called “Sonata Cafe” where you could feel warmth yourself with a Portable heater (inside the souvenir shop) and Bonfire ground (Next to the cafe). It also sells some food and drink like Black Tea Latte, Coffee, Peach Iced Tea.
“Snowman Pancake” a.k.A “Hotteok” Is a must buy food if you went here. It’s only cost ± 1.000 Won for two pancakes to satisfied your hunger.
Before I closed today’s post, Here’s some Tips & Tricks for you who planning to visit Nami Island:
- To go to Nami Island from Seoul:
- SMRT: you could ride an SMRT to Gapyeong Station (± 1.5 – 2.5 hour) → Take a taxi to Namiseom parking lot. (Travel time: 10-15 min) → Take the ferry from Namiseom Dock to Namiseom Island. (Travel time: 5-6 min).
- Shuttle Bus: you could ride a bus from Insa-dong (Jonggak Station, Subway Line 1, Exit 3): Next to Tapgol Park → Namdaemun Gate (Sunny mum Square bus stop in front of Namdaemun Market)
Shuttle Bus Schedule:
Insa-dong, Namdaemun Gate → Namiseom Island: 09:30 a.m.
Namiseom Island → Insa-dong, Namdaemun Gate: 16:00 p.m.
- There are some ways that you could take to reach the island:
- Zip Lining: It’s the fastest, yet expensive way with a little adrenaline rush, It cost about 38.000 Won for the admission (Zip wire, tax, entry visa).
- Ferry: Its more convenient and cheaper, It cost about 10.000 won for general admission (round trip ferry fare, tax, and entry visa)
Here’s A Ferry Schedule for you, if you planning to ride a boat:
07:30 a.m. – 09:00 a.m. (30min intervals)
09:00 a.m. – 18:00 p.m. (10-20min intervals)
18:00 p.m. – 21:40 p.m. (30min intervals)
- There would be some discount (The price would be around 3000 – 8000 Won) for you depending on your status (Age, Status, Time of visiting, Type of Admission, etc.).
- Regarding the time of visiting: May, July-August, and October (Spring, Summer, and Fall) are the best month to visit.
- Upon the arrival, You’ll receive this kind of map pointing to the particular location/point of interest and the facility you could use, such as Electronic Bicycle Rent, Electronic Car Tour, Toilet, Restaurant, Supermarket, etc. To help you explore the Nami Island. What you’ll receive would be in three-fold brochure format.
- If you are visiting Nami Island for only one day, you could had your dinner at “Dak Galbi” restaurant near the ferry port on Seoul. The word Dak means Chicken in Korea, so dak galbi is stir fried marinated diced chicken in a gochujang based sauce, and sliced cabbage, sweet potato, scallions, onions, perilla leaves, and tteok (rice cake) together on a hot plate.It is a local speciality food for the city of Chuncheon, Gangwon Province, where dak galbi originates. Because of its origin, the dish is also called Chunchŏn dak galbi. It has a sweet and savoury flavor.
- If you are planning to go here “solo” but didn’t have any idea how to go, what to do and where to stay, this web might be helpful for you. You could find a detail information about accommodation, event/festivals, attractions, food, etc. in Korea, so it might give you some clue about where to visit, when, and what to expect.